English | دری

Car dealers on hunger strike against Cabinet decision

in Afghan Business

Car dealers on hunger strike against Cabinet decision

More than two dozen car dealers from eastern Nangarhar province on Sunday went on a hunger strike against a recent decision of the Cabinet.

On Tuesday, the Cabinet decided that 3,800 vehicles — awaiting legal documents — at the Nangarhar Customs Department be disassembled and their parts sold.

Car Dealers’ Union head Haji Malang claimed the Council of Ministers had allowed some months back issuance of registration documents for vehicles with right-hand steering wheels, which are unathorised in Afghanistan.

Speaking to Pajhwok Afghan News, Malang slammed the Cabinet decision as unfair. He said the dealers would continue with their hunger strike as long as the decision was not revoked.

Another member of the union, Haji Abdul Hakim, warned Nangarhar-based car dealers would suffer a loss of $33 million (1,650 million afs) if the vehicles were disassembled and sold as parts.

“With our business on a nosedive, we will remain on strike till the government retracts its cruel decision,” remaked the trader.

Visiting the hunger strike camp on the Pakhtunistan Road along with his colleagues, provincial council member Zabihullah Zmaray stoutly supported the protesting traders.

He accused the governor of failing to keep his promises regarding assistance to provincial traders. Zmaray alleged registration documents for vehicles with right-hand steering wheels had been issued, because a number of ministers had imported such cars.

Eng. Mohammad Qasim Yousafzai, the Afghanistan Chamber of Commerce chief for the eastern zone, said the government had given the importers three months to arrange documents for their vehicles.

While assailing the authorities for failing to ensure the clearance of vehicles stuck at the Karachi port in neighbouring Pakistan, he said they had taken up the issue with the Cabinet and the Wolesi Jirga speaker. However, the talks have been inconclusive so far.

Source: Pajhwak News Agency by Abdul Mueed HashimionJun 3, 2012 – 15:54



Related Articles

4th Afghan-Turk International Expo held in Kabul

The fourth Afghan-Turk International Expo was organized by the Afghanistan Chamber of Commerce and Industries (ACCI) and Afghan-Turkish Industrialists &

‘Way of Pen’ society rallies to reopen schools in Kandahar

A society named ‘Way of Pen’ has launched a campaign in Spin Spoldak district of southern Kandahar province to reopen

Water and Energy Minister wins trust of the parliament

Water and Energy Minister Mohammad Ismail Khan won vote confidence of the parliamentarians, with only 32 out of 174 MPs

No comments

Write a comment
No Comments Yet! You can be first to comment this post!

Write a Comment

Your e-mail address will not be published.
Required fields are marked*

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload the CAPTCHA.