English | دری

Views on the effectiveness and ineffectiveness of World Aid to Afghanistan

in Afghan Business

Views on the effectiveness and ineffectiveness of World Aid to Afghanistan

Afghan government says that the world community has granted Afghanistan about USD 100bn of aid and till now about 60% of the aid has been spent.

Officials from Ministry of Foreign Affairs say that the aid money has been spent towards various sectors of Afghanistan and has had considerable effectiveness.

The world community has provided USD 99bn for civil aid, of which USD 57bn has been utilized.

These aids were granted to Afghanistan in various international conferences on Afghanistan in Tokyo, Berlin, the U.K., France, and Italy where the international community committed to assist Afghanistan in rebuilding process.

 Janan Mosa Zai Spokesperson to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs says that the aid money was allocated towards various infrastructure and other priority projects in Afghanistan.

“We have made significant achievements in reconstruction, security and public services in the past 10 years with support from international community. Today, more than 8 million students are enrolled in schools, 40% of which are females. Most Afghans have access to health institutions now. We now have almost 10,000 asphalted roads and have reconstructed tens of thousands of secondary roads.”

Officials from Ministry of Finance say that in addition to civil aid the international community has provided billions of aid for military purposes, for which Afghan government does not have the exact amount.

Najibullah Manalay, Communications Advisor to the MoF, says that of the USD 57bn aid money spent in Afghanistan, 20% was managed through national budget while the remaining 80% was spent through other countries and foreign organizations.

Mr. Manalay says that the Afghan government has properly managed the aid spent through the national budget.

According to Mr. Manalay, the remaining 80% of the aid spent in Afghanistan is not fully transparent.

“If look back at the reconstruction process of Afghanistan since the past 10 years, anything that has been built might not have cost more than USD 20m. A big portion of the international aid that has been managed through short-term projects has been misspent and has not been significant to Afghanistan in any way.”

Meanwhile economic experts say that both the Afghan government and the international community have failed to make better use of the large amount of aid.

“It wasn’t properly planned, priorities were disregarded, and economic concerns were not   taken into consideration during the allocation of aid money. The grant was spent on building roads, schools and clinics that can be evaluated in terms of quantity, but in terms of quality these infrastructures do not reflect the standard quality,” says Mr. Saifudin Saihoon, Economic Professor at Kabul University.

According to the experts, foreign countries and organization spent most of the money on staff salaries, rental homes and cars and procedural issues.

The experts say that the international community has failed to do much in the sectors of industries, energy and water, agriculture and livestock, and capacity building.

General public says that despite the inflow of billions of aid Afghanistan still faces many economic issues. Unemployment still exists, agriculture sector has not been strengthened, district roads have not been paved, and people do not have full access to health services.

Related Articles

Afghanistan to request for more aid in the next NATO summit

Afghan government officials conferred on finalizing the agenda for the upcoming North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) summit that is due

Afghan government signs 4 key projects with the World Bank

The Afghan Finance Minister Hazrat Omar Zakhilwal signed agreements on four key development projects with the World Bank (WB) on

Abdul Rashid Dostum Alleged for Preventing Amu River oil Extraction

The Afghan National Security Council (NSC) had accused General Dostum, the former powerful Jihai commander, for intervening in the extraction

No comments

Write a comment
No Comments Yet! You can be first to comment this post!

Write a Comment

Your e-mail address will not be published.
Required fields are marked*

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload the CAPTCHA.