Apple Asks the Court to ban Sale of Eight Samsung Phone

by Wadsam | August 28, 2012 4:32 am

[1]Apple has sought the US District Court in San Jose, California, to ban eight Samsung mobile phones in the US.

The phones include Galaxy S 4G, Galaxy S2 AT&T model, Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Galaxy S2 T-Mobile model, Galaxy S2 Epic 4G, Galaxy S Showcase, Droid Charge and Galaxy Prevail.

A jury ruled on Friday that Samsung should pay Apple $1.05bn in an intellectual property dispute in the US, saying several of Apple’s software and design patents were breached by Samsung.

Samsung’s claim that Apple had infringed several of its patents was rejected and no damages were awarded.

 Samsung was “willful in its infringement” in many of the cases, said the jury.

Following the verdict, Samsung’s shares dropped by 7.7%, the biggest daily percentage drop in nearly four years, on Monday.

“We initially proposed to negotiate with Apple instead of going to court, as they had been one of our most important customers,” said an internal memo from Samsung to its staff.

“However, Apple pressed on with a lawsuit, and we have had little choice but to counter sue, so that we can protect our company.”

Analysts say investors are worried the verdict could undermine the Android technology used in Smartphones.

Endnotes:
  1. [Image]: http://dev.wadsam.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/apple-vs-samsung.jpeg

Source URL: http://wadsam.com/international-business-news/apple-asks-the-court-to-ban-sale-of-eight-samsung-phone-547/