Bill Gates is the richest person on the planet, for the 16th time
According to the annual list published by Forbes magazine, Bill Gates whose estimated net worth stands at 79.2 billion dollars, is once again the richest person in the world. He has held this title 16 times in the last 21 years.
In second and third place are Carlos Slim Helu, the Mexican telecom tycoon with $77.1 billion and Warren Buffet, the American business giant with $72.7 billion, respectively.
Between 2009 and 2014 Gates’ wealth more than doubled from $40 billion to more than $82 billion. Between 2013 and 2014 his wealth increased by $15 billion, or, just for comparison’s sake, around $1.5 billion more than the entire Gross Domestic Product (GDP) of Iceland in 2014.
Gates is the founder and owner of Microsoft Corporation, the world’s largest software company.
Here’s the top ten list of the current wealthiest people on the planet, according to Forbes:
- Bill Gates $79.2bn (Microsoft)
- Carlos Slim Helu $77.1bn (Phones and construction in Mexico)
- Warren Buffett $72.7bn (Global investor)
- Amancio Ortega $64.5bn (Zara and other fashion chains)
- Larry Ellison $54.3bn (Oracle data storage technology)
- Charles Koch $42.9bn (Industrialist)
- David Koch $42.9bn (Industrialist)
- Christy Walton $41.7bn (Walmart)
- Jim Walton $40.6bn (Walmart)
- Liliane Bettencourt $40.1bn (L’Oreal cosmetics firm)
The US economy grew at an annualized rate of 1.5% in the second quarter. The figure could have been worse.
India’s industrial production fell unexpectedly in April, led by a drop in manufacturing, raising concerns about a slowdown in its
After the European Central Bank (ECB) unveiled its plans of easing the Eurozone crisis, the Euro rose to a two-month